November 20th, 2011 (Western Hemisphere)

Dear Family & Friends,

“A Cathartic Voyage…..” The title of the most recent “Ship’s Log” brings me up to date.  See link above.  FIVE  NEW Photo Galleries have been posted – Western Fiji, Vanuatu and Arrival at New Caledonia, New Caledonia & The Isle of Pines and lastly our arrival in Brisbane, Australia….click the photo link above. Enjoy!  I’m all caught up.

“Beach House”  has “Jumped The Puddle” – completing her Pacific Crossing.  We’ve arrived in Brisbane, Australia and the boat will be stored out of the water here for the Austral Cyclone Season.

Thank you Jerome and Nathalie from s/v “Na Maka” for the lovely bottle of wine.  We savored it with a toast to Cindy upon arrival – in celebration of our crossing the Pacific.

See “Position Reports” tab above.  ”Ship’s Logs”  are now current to Brisbane, Australia (November – 2011).


THANK YOU ALL for the emails I recently received.

KIT,  Scott

November – 2011 Brisbane, Australia

Dear F&F,

“Beach House” has finally “Jumped the Puddle”….We’ve completed our crossing of the worlds largest ocean which started 4 years ago. The “Puddle Jump” is the euphemism that many US West Coast sailors in particular call the Pacific Crossing. It’s a but cutesy, but you get the point. There are actually websites devoted to nothing else other than giving sailors information on people, places and logistics to aid them in this journey.

When we arrived, we opened that bottle of wine from friends Jerome and Nathalie and had a toast of the crossing completed and especially to Cindy who is here in spirit and always will be.

I may eventually head further West, there are still two big Oceans out there on the horizon, but I’m not yet sure what my plans will reveal.

“Beach House” will be soon be stored in the local boat yard for the Austral Cyclone Season.

Hurricanes (Cyclones “down under”) can be fairly intense in this part of the world and Brisbane is just South of the Cyclone belt which is why I chose to leave the boat here. We’ll be in the yard for about 3-5 months depending on when I return to “OZ”.

I’ve many questions to ponder and I will be doing this in earnest while back in the USA. I may never find the answers, but I will give it my best. I should be back in Southern California around Thanksgiving which I hope to spend with Skye and Sean in Los Angeles. I will have lots to deal with, it will likely be a more difficult time “at home” than out here. It’s been a tough emotional year, healing is progressing, but I’ve got some distance to travel yet. When I’m in the Los Angeles area, I hope to do some catching up on the original website; bringing it to date. I hope this will help many of you as well as myself understand what Cindy was going through, we might even begin to have some understanding as to why.

Thanks to Kate Richardson, Sandrine Duren, Anja Ciercieski and Kay McNamara for helping me sail s/v “Beach House” from Auckland, New Zealand to Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Brisbane, Australia this season. You were all great. I wish you all the best in your continued voyages and life’s endeavors.

Also thanks to all my fellow sailors, Ham Radio operators and friends who were there for me yet again this season. I’d especially like to thank the Pacific Seafarer’s Net, Bruce Balan and Alene Rice of s/v “Migration”, Peter Bruckman and Diana Young of s/v “Quickstar”, Jerome & Nathalie Fittouse of s/v “Na Maka”, Jim and Pat Whiting and friends aboard s/v “Wetnose” and lastly David and Mary Wilson of s/v “Giselle” for their kindness and continued friendship throughout the year.

I don’t want to forget Paul McFadden, Gram Schwiekert, Chris and Sandra Biggs in New Zealand for all their help in getting “Beach House” back on the road and of course, Mike Lonnes, the best boat guy in the world for all his continued assistance.

Last and anything but least, my almost daily email companions who’ve helped me more than they could ever know getting me through this difficult time. Angela, Alexandra, Gayle, Nikki and oh so very much Laurie without whom I have no idea where I’d be. Hugs for Karen, Ella and Alberta too. A big kiss for Skye, and thanks Sean for taking good care of her.

I’m working now on the photographs from the last month and getting ready to de-commision the boat while she’s in the yard. Photo Galleries to be posted soon. Lots of work ahead over the coming weeks and it’s more difficult doing it alone than I have in years past without Cindy. I’m sure this needs no explanation.

Thank you all for the wonderful emails I received. Please keep writing.

Hugs to you all!

Scott Stolnitz – s/v “Beach House” – Brisbane, Australia

October 22nd – October 26th, 2011 (Eastern Hemisphere)

Dear F&F,

As predicted by our weather software and watching the “BOM” (Bureau of Meteorology) website in “OZ”, it was time to go. The winds were backing from South to East and the seas were coming down rapidly in size. We expected the trip to take five plus days.

We were also not truly alone. Unusually, a group of five boats would all be leaving New Caledonia at the same time. The unusual part is that all five of us were catamarans! Cats are becoming more and more popular for long distance cruising at the years go by. Safe, fast and roomy. Also we don’t “heel” (lean over) like a monohull and that alone is far more comfortable.

As the South Pacific Cyclone season was about to officially get underway on November 1st AND we are again in a declared “La Nina” year, I thought it prudent to not try and hang around to see if we could find a big whirly storm now (or ever for that matter).

We waved good bye to Jerome, Nathalie and family who had come over and given us a lovely bottle of wine to celebrate our crossing the Pacific upon our arrival in Brisbane. We hoisted the main sail with one reef to test the winds that might be stronger a bit offshore. We would be headed just south of due west. Once we cleared the bay, we realized that the far western reefs of New Caledonia still had to be either left to starboard (our right) or we would have to negotiate our way through them. As they did not appear to have obvious passages, discretion was the better part of valor and we headed initially more south to avoid the reefs altogether. This further validated our decision to wait a day as otherwise it would have been pretty bumpy trying to go closer to the wind and have the seas more toward our bow.

Day One – We covered 170 miles and Kay seemed to do just fine. This would be her second ocean passage and she began to find her sea legs. With our reefed main and either the genoa or the staysail, we had a nice first day at sea. We would do our standard “four hours on – four hours off” watch system. Kay took the mid night to 4 a.m. watch and I took the two other “dark watches” on either side of hers. We were in morning and afternoon communication with s/v Dream Caper, s/v Tyee and s/v Gabian. Gabian was the race horse in our group doing 200 mile days right off the bat. With Kay’s tummy and less experience in mind, I wasn’t about to go into boat racer mode and keep up with them. S/v “Dream Caper” with Steve and Portia aboard were out of San Rafael, California. S/v “Tyee” with John, Lucy and two sons aboard were out of British Columbia. S/v “Gabian” from France. Our last big cat, s/v “LuCat” was headed toward Bundeberg, 100+ miles north of the other four of us. We four all headed to Brisbane.

Day Two – Again we covered 170 miles and the winds were going even further aft as expected with the passing high pressure system to our south. Kay and I put up the spinnaker pole and used either the genoa or the staysail on it to keep our “VMG” (velocity made good) as high as possible. It also makes “Miss Piggy” real comfortable being that far off the wind. With the wind still in the low 20 knot range, we were flying along just great. We kept not only a twice daily radio schedule with the other Cats but also checked in with the Pacific Seafarer’s Net to log our daily position reports. It’s a big Pacific wide “safety net” for cruising vessels with “Ham Radio” operators participating from all over the USA, New Zealand and Australia. It’s a comfort to get to know these great volunteers. Many have become good friends over the last several years. It always takes till the second day to get into the rhythm of a passage and this one was no exception; everything going along smoothly.

Day Three – The winds began to lighten (as expected) and we hoisted the spinnaker to maximize our sail area with a full main sail. This was the first time I’d actually put the upwind end of the spinnaker to weather on the pole. It worked perfectly and we kept this going all afternoon, through the night and actually watched our day’s run decrease in the lightening winds down to 160 miles. The boat however was very easy to handle and very comfortable. This was a major improvement over our Galapagos to Marquesas passage where Mike, Cindy and I had to always keep a close eye on the autopilot with the spinnaker up.

Day Four – When we finally dropped the spinnaker, the winds were really getting light and we were now in a race to get into Brisbane ahead of the coming low pressure system. It wasn’t predicted to be that strong, but hey why take a chance! We fired up both the “iron genoas” (engines) and with plenty of fuel floored it headed right toward Brisbane. The current is generally north to south along the east coast of “OZ”, but we found it erratic. Sometimes we’d be going 9 knots and sometimes 5.5 knots depending on the vagaries of the gyre.

Day Five – Still motoring, expecting the frontal passage tonight with ETA around 8 a.m. at the Outer Moreton Bay Buoy. Last night on Kay’s watch, she got whacked by 30 knots out of the south with the frontal passage. The wind shifted from the northeast to the south in an hour. Kay got to watch a lightning show, get bounced around and pretty wet too! Her first lightening at sea story. No biggie. The ocean got lumpy and we’d be happy to be in protected water within 10 hours.

Day Six – Officially began at 8:30 a.m. just as we arrived at the Moreton Bay Buoy. Moreton Bay is huge. Think San Francisco Bay size, maybe a bit bigger. Also, it’s completely shoaled up everywhere; a giant sand bar. Good thing we got that chart chip! Actually, there is a deep water channel dredged to 15 meters (48 feet) from one end to the other for the commercial traffic. It is also very well marked and controlled by “Vessel Traffic Controllers” which we were in communication with the entire trip within the bay. We had to stay off to one side to allow the big ships to go by and we’re able to take a few short cuts as we only draw 4 feet (1.5 meters).

We had southeast winds at 20 knots, but fortunately had Moreton Island to knock down the ocean waves. The shoaling however made the chop, short, steep and lumpy. We also lost the incoming tide half way up the bay and were slowed down to 4.5 knots against a 3 knot outflow. At first, we were going 8.5 knots WITH the current. As they say “down under”, “No worries mate, she’ll be right”….and it was. S/v “Tyee” was having some engine issues and they were slowed to 3 knots. No fun!

Finally, we made the Brisbane River’s outer entrance for the last 6 miles before we would be “on land”.

The trip up the river was uneventful, but we had to move out of the way of a couple of large commercial ships and stay in contact with Brisbane Port Control; the local “VTS” system. Finally we arrived at Rivergate Marina where Australian Customs keeps a permanent dock for small craft check in’s. Here, we met Officer’s Tracey and Ryan who were delightful and checked us not only into the Customs part our entry, but were also able to act in the stead of Immigration services. One last hoop was clearing Quarantine. Here, our fresh foods would be removed and the boat checked for things like pests. All was good, we “Jumped the Puddle”…… at last……

See the Brisbane Photo Gallery for our arrival photos and trip up Moreton Bay. Stay tuned,

Scott with Kay…now home in OZ