13 December 2016 (+11 UTC)
CONGRATS to Nikki on completing her circumnavigation!

COMMENT: Beach House – Moored  – Newcastle, Australia
More later, quite a rough last 30 hours!

Safe arrival. We’re at the Quarantine Buoy awaiting check in first thing tomorrow (Wednesday morning

TIME: 2016/12/13 01:31
LATITUDE: 32-56.34S
LONGITUDE: 152-30.64E
COURSE: 267T
SPEED: 7.7
MARINE: YES
WIND_SPEED: 23
WIND_DIR: NNE
WAVE_HT: 0.5M
SWELL_DIR: NNE
SWELL_HT: 2.2M
SWELL_PER: 6
CLOUDS: 20%
VISIBILITY: 35
BARO: 1014.4
TREND: -1
AIR_TEMP: 24.4C

Dear Friends & Family,
We’re about 1/2 way to the East Australian Coast and are still motoring in now calm seas and very light winds.
This will all change by this afternoon!

A strong northerly flow will begin around dark tonight and continue for the next 48 hours and strengthen.
This is likely due to the next south westerly coming north from the Bass Strait between Tasmania and mainland Australia.
This phenomenon is what the racers often experience in the Sydney to Horbart Yacht Race that will begin the day after Christmas and it can be a real fright.s

As such, the winds in front of “the front”, will begin to build and predictions are for northerly gusts to 35 knots between Newcastle and Sydney.
We’ll make the final call late today, but currently are hedging our bets by heading toward Newcastle (65 miles north of Sydney Harbour). This will save about 10 hours of exposure to most severe winds.

We expect winds to 25 knots this evening and if we head to Newcastle to check in (alternate) we’ll miss the 35 knot winds further south toward Sydney.
This may require us to sit in Newcastle for several days waiting the oncoming south westerly front which would be right on our nose!

Last night the seas calmed considerably and the predominant southerly swell is down to 2 meters. Yesterday, we actually saw a few isolated 4 meter (15 foot swells). Without wind of course, it’s just the big “up and down”.

COMMENT: Beach House – En Route – Lord Howe Island – East Coast Australia – possibly divert to Newcastle – decision later today.
TIME: 2016/12/11 19:39
LATITUDE: 32-21.78S
LONGITUDE: 156-17.48E
COURSE: 262T
SPEED: 6.6
MARINE: YES
WIND_SPEED: 4
WIND_DIR: SE
SWELL_DIR: S
SWELL_HT: 2.0M
SWELL_PER: 9
CLOUDS: 35%
VISIBILITY: 30
BARO: 1023.1
AIR_TEMP: 22.2C

11 December 2016 (+11 UTC) Eastern Hemisphere

Dear Friends and Family,
After waiting 24 hours for a very strong SW system to pass Lord Howe, we were stuck behind the reef and didn’t feel safe to exit the Lagoon at Lord Howe.
Conditions calmed over night and we’re now en route to the Great Southern Land!
We’ve about 375 miles to go and hope to be in late Tuesday p.m.
The weather will be a bit tricky on this trip.
We’re now in no wind with a very large southerly swell left over from the system that has just passed.
Heading a bit south of rhumb line to try and get out of an adverse current and into a positive one. From there, we may head west in anticipation of
big northerly winds which will start building tomorrow (our Monday night) and into Tuesday.
This will be a real sleigh ride if we can get in front of it.
KIT,
Scott and Nikki

COMMENT: Beach House – En Route – Lord Howe Island – Sydney, Australia
TIME: 2016/12/11 03:55
LATITUDE: 31-58.60S
LONGITUDE: 158-12.82E
COURSE: 245T
SPEED: 5.4
MARINE: YES
WIND_SPEED: 3
WIND_DIR: ESE
SWELL_DIR: S
SWELL_HT: 3.0M
SWELL_PER: 9
CLOUDS: 80%
VISIBILITY: 30
BARO: 1022.7
AIR_TEMP: 26.1C