TIME: 2013/05/21 16:35
COMMENT: Beach House -MOORED-Luderitz, Namiba We arrived at 4pm local time and found one mooring available.
We’ll check in tomorrow and expect to be here at least two days. Weather watch is our primary issue.
Scott and Nikki
(BTW…our land email addresses are good till we leave here!!!!) For Pat and Steve on “OZ”… the position above is where the small boats anchor/moor
TIME: 2013/05/21 09:34
COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE – Luderitz, Namibia
It’s 11:30 am local time and we are less than 30 miles from Luderitz. We expect to arrive around 5-6 pm and are now motoring into a head wind.
It’s cold, overcast and wet outside.
Blog is updated. See: www.svbeachhouse.com
Scott and Nikki
TIME: 2013/05/20 06:25
COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE – Luderitz, Namiba
Nikki’s up, the winds are predicted to shift to the ESE so we’ll gybe (bring the main sail from one side to the other with the wind behind us) and head toward the barn door at a true heading of about 355 degrees. 200 miles to go, shaping up to be a nice day, but cold! We may put the spinnaker back up? The blog is posted, (someone please let me know if the formatting looks normal or is it just one long run on sentence?)….
Scott and Nautical Nik
TIME: 2013/05/19 07:29
COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE -Luderitz, Namibia
We sailed all night in 10-15 knots of wind, but gave it up once we could no longer maintain 5 knots boat speed.
The swell is up due to big Southern Ocean storms, but fortunately, they are not near us! US Sailing Vessel “OZ”, Steve and Pat are about a half day ahead of us. We made first contact this morning with the SAM HAM Net which assists we boaters in weather across the Atlantic.
Once across the pond, we’ll be able to get the Maritime Mobile Nets which will do the same from the other side. Basically, this will be an abbreviated version of the remote blog posts.
NOTE: They may not paginate properly on the home page until my web guru (he knows who he is!….))) makes sure it’s working properly So, we’re back to motoring for the moment, expect to be in Luderitz on Tuesday afternoon…. I think I hear a song?….:-)
Scott and Nikki
TIME: 2013/05/18 07:48
COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE – St. Helena via Luderitz, Namibia
The first winter storm is expected in Cape Town in about 3-4 days so we wanted to depart before it’s arrival. We should have mostly mild to moderate winds from here north to Luderitz. It appears for planning that this will be the best course of action as to stay on the Rhumb line seaward (west would bring us into no wind or head winds. All systems seem to be AOK and we’re off on this absolutely picture perfect morning. The BLOG is caught up to yesterday and we will post as we go.
Scott and Nikki
YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/26 09:35 LATITUDE: 33-54.52S LONGITUDE: 018-25.16E MARINE: NO WIND_SPEED: 5 WIND_DIR: SSE CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 20 BARO: 1019.1 AIR_TEMP: 21.1C COMMENT: Beach House -DOCKED- V&A Marina – Cape Town, SA for repairs…… We have arrived at the V&A Marina where we have a nice interior slip. The weather was a huge blessing as it was essentially calm the entire 70 hour motor. The winds will be back strongly soon! The good news is, preliminarly, we think that the parts from the US may be minimal and the big mandrel can be repaired or replaced here in Cape Town. The steering of course needs to be thouroghly gone over and we need to reset, refresh and of course as winter is here, watch the weather. All is well and you can use our land emails again as we have internet. KIT, Scott and Nikki
YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/25 08:09 LATITUDE: 31-20.38S LONGITUDE: 016-56.72E COURSE: 157T SPEED: 6.8 MARINE: YES WIND_SPEED: 8 WIND_DIR: NNE WAVE_HT: 0.0M WAVE_PER: 0 SWELL_DIR: SW SWELL_HT: 0.5M SWELL_PER: 6 CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 15 BARO: 1019 TREND: 1 AIR_TEMP: 20.0C SEA_TEMP: 16.7C COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE-Cape Town, SA. Should arrive Friday afternoon. It’s nice that this weather window has steadily improved and I think we’ll get in before the next southerly kicks up. We had an alternator/water pump belt break on the port engine. Fortunately, it’s nice and calm. The repair went fine in about an hours time. We also got some good news that we may be able to fix the boom rather than replace it…. Stand by. When I get to Cape Town and get settled, I WILL catch the blog up. Nothing out here but sea lions, bull kelp floating around and us! KIT, Scott and Nikki
YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/24 11:16 LATITUDE: 29-09.43S LONGITUDE: 015-57.97E COURSE: 159T SPEED: 7.3 MARINE: YES WIND_SPEED: 5 WIND_DIR: ESE WAVE_HT: 0.0M WAVE_PER: 0 SWELL_DIR: SW SWELL_HT: 1.5M SWELL_PER: 6 CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 20 BARO: 1015 TREND: -1 AIR_TEMP: 22.2C SEA_TEMP: 14.4C COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE-Cape Town, SA – just south of Namibian border Happily, the head winds of yesterday afternoon are gone and we’re motoring into fairly small swells with no wind waves at this time. We’ve about 300 miles to go and expect to be in Cape Town on Friday mid day to late afternoon, depending on what goes on with the winds. We got some potentially good news that our boom may be able to be repaired vs. replaced. But I won’t hold my breath till I get to speak with the supplier in the USA. KIT, USE SAILMAIL… Scott and resting Capt. Nik!
YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/23 10:36 LATITUDE: 26-37.01S LONGITUDE: 015-06.48E COURSE: 259T SPEED: 7.4 MARINE: NO WIND_SPEED: 12 WIND_DIR: WSW CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 15 BARO: 1012.9 AIR_TEMP: 26.7C COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE-Cape Town, SA for repairs. Abeam Diaz Point, Namibia The weather looks “ok” for the first 18 hours after which is goes lighter and improves for we south bounders. Wind has a lot of west in it, so it’s not too bad “into it”. It’s supposed to lighten around sun down and not pick up again for a few days. This will “hopefully”? get us back into Cape Town without having to bash into it. KIT, USE SAILMAIL ADDRESS… Scott and “Watch Commandress Nikki”…..
YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/18 18:23 LATITUDE: 26-38.42S LONGITUDE: 015-09.44E MARINE: NO WIND_SPEED: 25 WIND_DIR: SSE CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 12 BARO: 1018.2 AIR_TEMP: 13.9C COMMENT: Beach House -ANCHORED- Back in Robert Harbor, Luderitz….. Crew is safe but tired. We had winds steady at 30-35 knots on the way back and saw gusts into the 40′s, one at 52 knots! Glad to be back. It’s a mess and we’ll have to head back to Cape Town. I suspect for a minimum of a month and possibly two! The boom is a loss and we’ll need to get a new one from California. We’ll move up our tour of Sossuvlei Dunes to Sunday/Monday and look for a weather window (starting to shape up on Tuesday to Friday?) to motor the 500 miles back to Cape Town…. KIT, Scott and Nikki